115 Prince William
The Old Post Office is a large three-and-a-half storey stone Second Empire building with high Roman arch windows and a mansard roof. It faces Prince William Street and extends to Water Street in the rear, creating two basement levels on Water Street. It is located within the boundary of the Trinity Royal area of the City of Saint John.
The Old Post Office is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its former use as a post office. The Old Post Office is one of a collection of Second Empire government buildings that were built between 1877 and 1881 after two thirds of the City of Saint John were destroyed by the fire in 1877. Constructed in 1881, it is an excellent example of institutional Second Empire architecture from the rebuilding period in Saint John. This style is evident in such details as the mansard roof, the elaborate attic and dormer windows, the rectangular massing and the various arched door and window openings. This was the City of Saint John’s first iron frame building. The use of iron and stone represented the will for the city to rebuild, as well or better, after the fire. Thomas Scott, chief architect of the Public Works Department, was the main architect. During his ten years in this position, Scott designed twenty-seven custom houses and post offices. Matthew Stead was the local architect who assisted with revisions to the original plan for the building.
Source: Planning and Development Department – City of Saint John
The building has had many different residents, tenants, and notable visitors over the years, and is now ready for it’s next phase of development. The main floors will continue to house quality commercial clients, and the top three floors will be converted to luxurious residential condominiums. This exciting project will bring a quality that is second to none in Saint John. The original charm and character will remain and the condos will offer classic, timeless quality that will be sure to stand the test of time.